MY WEBSITE IS

www.lorrainebromley.weebly.com

All About Me and My Adventures, Trials, Tribulations & Travels ... Fine Art, Design, Photography and Lettering Arts

Thursday, January 08, 2009

The Day the Earth Shook












Yes, there was an earthquake on Thursday, I felt it. Was short, a little scary. I was with Sarah, Marc and Bernarda at the orchid gardens in Cartago, a few miles south of San Jose. Bernarda grabbed my arm and said that was an earthquake, I thought she was feeling dizzy and holding on to me. She was pulling me away from trees. So, we went about the gardens in a usual manner and found out from workers that it was high on the rictor scale (6.!). A little nerve-racking. I was more concerned about it all when we went to a restaurant and they had the news on. It was only about hour later and they had news about tourists being trapped up near La Paz Waterfalls and Poas Volcano, where we had been considering going. Thank goodness we did not go there, anyway, there are some people stuck up there, safe but no road to get back down from mountain, roads are very rough, but paved up there, just close to edges, no gard rails and roads were wiped out with landslides. Today will be more news. Glad to be back in studio. But also went to the Orosi Valley, which was breathtaking, it was late in afternoon and the sun was shining in the west going down and dark clouds in the east, it was so dramatic looking down the valley to the river winding around green jungle hills.